Imagine the world without proofreaders. Languages may be a notch harder to understand for lack of uniformity and adherence to grammar. Content marketers hire proofreaders to ensure concise, error-free, and professionally-written copies. Proofreading is both an art and a technical subject, following a specific format, syntax, and sentence construction.
4 Steps in Proofreading
Follow this five-step guide in proofreading to ensure high quality of articles.
- It is advised that you jot down common errors. This includes punctuation, choice of words, dangling modifiers, subject-verb agreement, and spelling. It is possible to review this checklist a couple of times, so you will not miss out on anything.
- Fact-check. Google character names, their titles or designations, addresses, and accounts of events. You do not want to feed your readers with wrong information or get sued with libel.
- Syntax and format. Every publication follows a specific style guide. Formats differ in writing numbers, quoting quotes, and use of acronyms. Depending on the type of article, you may also need to change its tone and direction.
- Revise until you arrive at a clear and concise masterpiece. Remove filler and superfluous words. Read the text aloud and determine its readability by the ear.
What is Associated Press (AP) Style?
The Associated Press (AP) Style is a guidebook for punctuations, grammar, and principles of reporting used by newspapers and reporters in the United States. Aside from basic formatting, AP also covers guidelines in business and sports writing, media law, photo captions, and proofreading symbols. Due to its effectiveness, the AP Style Guide is used in thousands of publications in the world today.
Ways to Improve Text Readability
Improving readability is one struggle that most content marketers encounter. Topics on finance and sports involve technical terms that are difficult to understand by an ordinary reader. Below are tips on how to improve readability.
- Write sentences in active voice. Make sure the subject is the doer in the sentence.
- When writing a procedure, use connective words (e.g. first, initially, finally) to lead readers into the flow of idea.
- Include lists whenever possible. Readers appreciate useful snippets of information.
- Briefly define difficult words, especially if it is essential to the context.
- Minimize the use of “the”, “that”, “some” and other connectors (e.g. ultimately, however) as it affects the flow of the sentence.
- Combine short sentences, and separate two independent clauses for ease of reading.
- Use punctuations correctly.
Difference between an Editor and a Proofreader
Editing jobs for proofreaders may include editorial duties. An editor is concerned on the content and overall context of a copy, while a proofreader is responsible with format and syntax. Proofreading can also be a complicated task depending on the level of accuracy needed in a text.
Freelance Jobs for Proofreaders
Are you interested in freelance editing jobs? Big publishing companies and online newspaper are always in need of proofreaders. Albeit it is a plus for a candidate to possess a journalism-related degree, it is not a requirement. Freelance proofreading jobs have the potential to provide you with competitive part-time and full-time rates.
iPresence Business Solutions takes proofreading a big deal. The company ensures that all contents provided to clients are error-free and written in professional manner. Browse iPresence Business Solutions for further information on how you can become a successful proofreader.
Latest posts by iPresence Digital Marketing, Inc. (see all)
- Top 4 Forum Marketing Tips to Generate More Leads and Traffic - October 29, 2018
- Create Brand Visibility With Your Virtual Marketing Assistant - October 26, 2018
- Finding a Social Media Management Agency for Online Entrepreneurs - October 22, 2018