The process of writing news articles has been revolutionized with the advent of robot journalism. Some 40 years ago, Yale University was able to engineer the first ever story-writing algorithm that utilized automatically moving mechanisms – robots. After this radical development, the profession of recent news articles writing, reporting, and editing of news stories by the media has been said to generate hundreds of thousands of news report without the need of newspersons. Several stories and articles have already been developed with this technology without people knowing the writers behind them.
How True Is This?
You might be thinking that this is just a gimmick. But, this is actually a fact. Companies such as Automated Insights and Narrative Science, both a US-based firm, are taking the lead in news writing automation. These technology-driven companies are utilizing advanced algorithmic programs to search for data and information and produce quality, reliable reports about recent and significant events. In fact, highly reputable companies such as Forbes, Samsung, Fairfax, Associated Press, Yahoo, Tencent Finance and the National Football League among others have engaged their selves to this automated technological breakthrough in news writing. These companies claimed the efficiency of this automated news writing machine in producing and publishing recent news articles, business news articles, and other types of publications. The capabilities in delivering news only take a matter of seconds compared to humans who consume a significant number of minutes in generating articles.
What does this imply to human news writers?
The efficiency of machines in generating articles speedily is incontestable. While a lot of people developed a quick assumption that the rapid developments of artificial intelligence and algorithms in writing recent news articles give rise to the vulnerability and insecurity of human journalists, there are still individuals who believed that human journalism still outscore everything.
What is the edge of Robotic Journalism?
- Computers are capable of writing the most recent news articles within a span of three (3) minutes through the use of algorithms. Automated technology can produce thousands of news stories every month and can produce millions every year.
- Robots can construct error-free articles compared to humans who are susceptible to errors.
- Fiscal investment is cost-effective. This implies that investing in technology to produce stories is cheaper than compensating human labor.
What is the edge of Human Journalism?
- Robots are not yet at the point of conducting interviews in televisions, radios, and newspapers and delivering it to the general public.
- The act of judging and assessing a particular person, events or situation needs personal experience, humor, and creative flair. Robots, along with their algorithms, cannot perform these things, but humans can.
The Future of Journalism
Robotic journalism and human journalism are both capable of producing reliable recent news articles for the contemporary time to the contemporary society. Instead of deterring the future of human news writers, both can work together to provide accurate and quality information to the public. But with respect to the question regarding the replacement of human journalists over algorithmic machines is very unlikely to happen. The need of human writing and reporting are always on top of machine reporting. Technological speed is beguiling for esteemed companies, but thought provoking delivery and creative writing style is always exceptionally discerned and delivered by humans.
While there are highly exceptional machines that delivers recent news articles for the general public online, there still remains thousands of news writing providers, such as iPresence Business Solutions, that offer affordable service rates and competent, effective and quality news writers.