Every industry needs an effective writer, if not the best. Because everything now is transitioned into the digital platform, writers get employment opportunities even at home. Thanks to the Internet, freelance writing is now accessible to many, even those without formal education in publication or journalism. Talent, perseverance, and discipline are the foundations of building a sustainable writing career.
Types of Freelance Writing
Before jumping into the bandwagon, decide on what type of writing you wish to excel in. The three major categories of freelance writing have specific characteristics in terms of tone, format, content, and use.
- Informative articles, blogging, website content, and SEO are just a few of its sub-categories. The tone is almost conversational, but not to the point of informality. Blogging jobs promote a particular website or niche, while SEO creates articles with targeted keywords for improved Google ranking.
- Journalistic writing. Gone are the days when only full-fledged journalists get to write on newspapers or periodicals. Today, you can build a career as a reporter for online trending news sites. You only need to be proficient in the English language and updated with current events.
- Creative writing. If you have a flair for prose and poetry and you enjoy literary fiction, creative writing is for you. Companies catering to children’s books hire work-from-home writers, since the overhead expense does not include employee benefits.
Enroll in Writing Courses
Freelance writing is a highly competitive industry. Proficiency in the language is not enough, because clients are looking for writers who can give identity to contents. Always find opportunities for growth, whether it is enrolling in crash courses, getting a mentor, or joining competitions.
Build a Credible Portfolio
A portfolio would speak tons about you as a writer. It can be a collection of your published works or articles that received praises from your previous employers. It must be free from grammatical and spelling errors. Review your portfolio every once in a while. Revise if you think that it is subpar from your current writing skills.
Sign Up on Freelancing Websites
Signing up on freelance writing websites is the fastest way to get paid to write. A free account allows you to setup a profile, apply on open jobs, and work on limited contracts. You may incur withdrawal transaction charges depending on its terms and conditions. Be vigilant on scam businesses offering you too-good-to-be-true rates.
E2E: From Employee to Entrepreneur
Applying on technical writing jobs is one way to secure income, but this is not the end for freelance writers. If you are able to master the industry, you can setup your own content provider business. It is possible that you will drain your energy and even your bank account initially. But the demand for content is limitless, and it is a good place to plan your retirement life.
Freelance writing gives you both financial freedom and privilege to work at your own pace and time. But this is not a job that is to be taken lightly. To become successful in this field, master the art of time management and leveraging resources. iPresence Business Solutions has everything all figured out – from a pool of excellent writers, quality content, to efficient business management.
Latest posts by iPresence Digital Marketing, Inc. (see all)
- Top 4 Forum Marketing Tips to Generate More Leads and Traffic - October 29, 2018
- Create Brand Visibility With Your Virtual Marketing Assistant - October 26, 2018
- Finding a Social Media Management Agency for Online Entrepreneurs - October 22, 2018